22 July 2006

Tip of the hat

I haven't been posting as often as I'd like, I have so much to tell you all about and so little time to do it in.  I'll be back soon enough, so enough of that.

I'm compelled to stop in and just give some props to someone I was quite fond of.

Actor Jack Warden passed away this week at the ripe old age of 85.  The guy had so many memorable roles throughout his career that it's amazing he only won a single Emmy and no Oscars.  Whether he was playing Roy L. Fuchs in 'Used Cars,' Harry Rosenfeld in 'All the President's Men,' Judge Rayford in '...And Justice for All,' or Mickey Morrissey in 'The Verdict' (my personal favorite), Warden always brought class and a flair for the dramatic, even in comic roles.  He was already distinguished as an actor even before I got to know him on the silver screen.

Warden was also a lifeguard, a bouncer, a pro boxer and a WWII vet who saw action at the Battle of the Bulge, all of which surely helped to shape his familiar persona in a career that spanned 50 years.  Rest in peace, Jack, you earned it.

No comments: